This is an analysis of the poem Dunedin In The Gloaming that begins with:
Like a black, enamoured King whispered low the thunder
To the lights of Roslyn, terraced far asunder: ... full text
Elements of the verse: questions and answers
The information we provided is prepared by means of a special computer program. Use the criteria sheet to understand greatest poems or improve your poetry analysis essay.
- Rhyme scheme: aaa bbb aaX ccX ddd ccc eee eeX ccc ffX
- Stanza lengths (in strings): 3,3,3,3,3,3,3,3,3,3,
- Closest metre: trochaic pentameter
- Сlosest rhyme: couplets
- Сlosest stanza type: tercets
- Guessed form: unknown form
- Metre: 10110001101010 001010101010 101010101110 101110010100010 1111001101010 1010100001010 10111101111110 1000101101010 10101011010100 100001011100010 00101001101010 10110011011100 101010110001 101010110001 1010100101001 101101000101010 10101111100010 10101111101010 1010101011101110 010101010101110 111111010101110 1010111101111010 1010101011110 0111000111110100 1010101101010 10111110111110 1010011101010 101110011101010 100011011010100 100010101010100
- Amount of stanzas: 10
- Average number of symbols per stanza: 171
- Average number of words per stanza: 29
- Amount of lines: 30
- Average number of symbols per line: 57 (very long strings)
- Average number of words per line: 10
Mood of the speaker:
The punctuation marks are various. Neither mark predominates.
The author used lexical repetitions to emphasize a significant image; and is repeated.
The poet used anaphora at the beginnings of some neighboring lines. The same words ere, lady are repeated.
The author used the same word once at the beginnings of some neighboring stanzas. The figure of speech is a kind of anaphora.
There is a poetic device epiphora at the end of some neighboring lines is is repeated).
If you write a school or university poetry essay, you should Include in your explanation of the poem:
- summary of Dunedin In The Gloaming;
- central theme;
- idea of the verse;
- history of its creation;
- critical appreciation.
Good luck in your poetry interpretation practice!
Pay attention: the program cannot take into account all the numerous nuances of poetic technique while analyzing. We make no warranties of any kind, express or implied, about the completeness, accuracy, reliability and suitability with respect to the information.