This is an analysis of the poem A Folk Song that begins with:
I came to your town, my love,
And you were away, away! ... full text
Elements of the verse: questions and answers
The information we provided is prepared by means of a special computer program. Use the criteria sheet to understand greatest poems or improve your poetry analysis essay.
- Rhyme scheme: ABcbcXDeeB ABcbfXDffB ABXbgXDggB
- Stanza lengths (in strings): 10,10,10,
- Closest metre: iambic tetrameter
- Сlosest rhyme: no rhyme
- Сlosest stanza type: sonnet
- Guessed form: unknown form
- Metre: 1101111 1100101 111000110 1101111 11100111 01001110 11010 111010101 010011101 1100101 1101111 1100101 111000101 1101111 11100101 01001010 11010 111010101 010111111 1100101 1101111 1100101 111000111 1110101 11001101 1111010110 11010 111110111 010111111 1100101
- Amount of stanzas: 3
- Average number of symbols per stanza: 399
- Average number of words per stanza: 66
- Amount of lines: 30
- Average number of symbols per line: 39 (medium-length strings)
- Average number of words per line: 7
Mood of the speaker:
There are many exclamation marks in the poem. The speaker is excited. He or she has strong feelings on the subject that is described in the poem.
The author used lexical repetitions to emphasize a significant image; away, to, you are repeated.
The poet used anaphora at the beginnings of some neighboring lines. The same word they is repeated.
The author used the same word i at the beginnings of some neighboring stanzas. The figure of speech is a kind of anaphora.
The poet repeated the same word away at the end of some neighboring stanzas. The poetic device is a kind of epiphora.
The literary device anadiplosis is detected in two or more neighboring lines. The word/phrase they connects the lines.
If you write a school or university poetry essay, you should Include in it:
- summary of A Folk Song;
- idea of the verse;
- history of its creation.
Good luck in your poetry interpretation practice!
Pay attention: the program cannot take into account all the numerous nuances of poetic technique while analyzing. We make no warranties of any kind, express or implied, about the completeness, accuracy, reliability and suitability with respect to the information.