This is an analysis of the poem Modern Love Xliii: Mark Where The Pressing Wind that begins with:
Mark where the pressing wind shoots javelin-like,
Its skeleton shadow on the broad-backed wave! ... full text
Elements of the verse: questions and answers
The information we provided is prepared by means of a special computer program. Use the criteria sheet to understand greatest poems or improve your poetry analysis essay.
- Rhyme scheme: abbacddceccefXdf
- Stanza lengths (in strings): 16,
- Closest metre: iambic pentameter
- Сlosest rhyme: enclosed rhyme
- Сlosest stanza type: sonnet
- Guessed form: blank verse
- Metre: 11010111001 01001110111 1001010111 11010010111 1111011101 0100010101 0111110001 0101011101 1101110111 1101010111 01101110101 1101110101 1111001111 0101010111 1101010101 1101110101
- Amount of stanzas: 1
- Average number of symbols per stanza: 723
- Average number of words per stanza: 131
- Amount of lines: 16
- Average number of symbols per line: 44 (strings are more long than medium ones)
- Average number of words per line: 8
Mood of the speaker:
The punctuation marks are various. Neither mark predominates.
The author used lexical repetitions to emphasize a significant image; of is repeated.
The poet used anaphora at the beginnings of some neighboring lines. The same word here is repeated.
If you write a school or university poetry essay, you should Include in your explanation of the poem:
- summary of Modern Love Xliii: Mark Where The Pressing Wind;
- central theme;
- idea of the verse;
- history of its creation;
- critical appreciation.
Good luck in your poetry interpretation practice!
Pay attention: the program cannot take into account all the numerous nuances of poetic technique while analyzing. We make no warranties of any kind, express or implied, about the completeness, accuracy, reliability and suitability with respect to the information.
More information about poems by George Meredith
- Analysis of Modern Love Xl: I Bade My Lady Think
- Analysis of Modern Love Xli: How Many A Thing
- Analysis of Internal Harmony