This is an analysis of the poem Modern Love Xli: How Many A Thing that begins with:
How many a thing which we cast to the ground,
When others pick it up becomes a gem! ... full text
Elements of the verse: questions and answers
The information we provided is prepared by means of a special computer program. Use the criteria sheet to understand greatest poems or improve your poetry analysis essay.
- Rhyme scheme: abbacddceffedggX
- Stanza lengths (in strings): 16,
- Closest metre: iambic pentameter
- Сlosest rhyme: enclosed rhyme
- Сlosest stanza type: sonnet
- Guessed form: blank verse
- Metre: 11001111001 1101010101 1111010000 1101010101 1111110111 0101010101 0101010101 1101110101 11010100010 1010110101 1111010101 01010101110 1001110111 0101111101 0011111101 11110100111
- Amount of stanzas: 1
- Average number of symbols per stanza: 696
- Average number of words per stanza: 131
- Amount of lines: 16
- Average number of symbols per line: 43 (strings are more long than medium ones)
- Average number of words per line: 8
Mood of the speaker:
There are many exclamation marks in the poem. The speaker is excited. He or she has strong feelings on the subject that is described in the poem.
If you write a school or university poetry essay, you should Include in your explanation of the poem:
- summary of Modern Love Xli: How Many A Thing;
- central theme;
- idea of the verse;
- history of its creation;
- critical appreciation.
Good luck in your poetry interpretation practice!
Pay attention: the program cannot take into account all the numerous nuances of poetic technique while analyzing. We make no warranties of any kind, express or implied, about the completeness, accuracy, reliability and suitability with respect to the information.
More information about poems by George Meredith
- Analysis of Internal Harmony
- Analysis of By Morning Twilight
- Analysis of By The Rosanna--To F.M. Stanzer Thal, Tyrol