This is an analysis of the poem Shifting Sand that begins with:
Do you see that post a-stickin in the sand?
Just the point of it a-poking thro' the sand?... full text
Elements of the verse: questions and answers
The information we provided is prepared by means of a special computer program. Use the criteria sheet to understand greatest poems or improve your poetry analysis essay.
- Rhyme scheme: aabba ccXdX eedde ddddd ffggfXaadda
- Stanza lengths (in strings): 5,5,5,5,11,
- Closest metre: iambic pentameter
- Сlosest rhyme: enclosed rhyme
- Сlosest stanza type: tercets
- Guessed form: blank verse
- Metre: 11111010001 10100010101 1111011 1111111 11111110101 10011010101 11101111101 1011101 1111101 00101011111 01101111101 10111110111 11100111 1110001 11101010101 001001010101 00101110101 1011001 1011101 11101110101 10111010101 10101011101 1010101 0010101 11101011001 10101110101 11111010101 1111111 1011101 00101010101
- Amount of stanzas: 6
- Average number of symbols per stanza: 210
- Average number of words per stanza: 40
- Amount of lines: 30
- Average number of symbols per line: 41 (medium-length strings)
- Average number of words per line: 8
Mood of the speaker:
There are many exclamation marks in the poem. The speaker is excited. He or she has strong feelings on the subject that is described in the poem.
The author used lexical repetitions to emphasize a significant image; we, and, in are repeated.
The poet used anaphora at the beginnings of some neighboring lines. The same words and, in are repeated.
There is a poetic device epiphora at the end of some neighboring lines sand, began, now, shift, trees, land are repeated).
The literary device anadiplosis is detected in two or more neighboring lines. The word/phrase deep connects the lines.
If you write a school or university poetry essay, you should Include in your explanation of the poem:
- summary of Shifting Sand;
- central theme;
- idea of the verse;
- history of its creation;
- critical appreciation.
Good luck in your poetry interpretation practice!
Pay attention: the program cannot take into account all the numerous nuances of poetic technique while analyzing. We make no warranties of any kind, express or implied, about the completeness, accuracy, reliability and suitability with respect to the information.