This is an analysis of the poem Xx: The Night Is Freezing Fast that begins with:
The night is freezing fast,
To-morrow comes December;... full text
Elements of the verse: questions and answers
The information we provided is prepared by means of a special computer program. Use the criteria sheet to understand greatest poems or improve your poetry analysis essay.
- Rhyme scheme: abcabc dbedbe
- Stanza lengths (in strings): 6,6,
- Closest metre: iambic trimeter
- Сlosest rhyme: rima
- Сlosest stanza type: tercets
- Guessed form: unknown form
- Metre: 010101 0101010 110001 101001 1101010 111101 110111 1111010 1100101 110111 0101110 110101
- Amount of stanzas: 2
- Average number of symbols per stanza: 172
- Average number of words per stanza: 30
- Amount of lines: 12
- Average number of symbols per line: 28 (strings are less long than medium ones)
- Average number of words per line: 5
Mood of the speaker:
The punctuation marks are various. Neither mark predominates.
The author used lexical repetitions to emphasize a significant image; and is repeated.
If you write a school or university poetry essay, you should Include in your explanation of the poem:
- summary of Xx: The Night Is Freezing Fast;
- central theme;
- idea of the verse;
- history of its creation;
- critical appreciation.
Good luck in your poetry interpretation practice!
Pay attention: the program cannot take into account all the numerous nuances of poetic technique while analyzing. We make no warranties of any kind, express or implied, about the completeness, accuracy, reliability and suitability with respect to the information.
More information about poems by Alfred Edward Housman
- Analysis of Xl: Farewell To A Name And Number
- Analysis of Xv: 'Tis Five Years Since, An End Said I
- Analysis of When The Eye Of Day Is Shut