This is an analysis of the poem When The Eye Of Day Is Shut that begins with:
When the eye of day is shut,
And the stars deny their beams,... full text
Elements of the verse: questions and answers
The information we provided is prepared by means of a special computer program. Use the criteria sheet to understand greatest poems or improve your poetry analysis essay.
- Rhyme scheme: abab cdcd aeae afaf
- Stanza lengths (in strings): 4,4,4,4,
- Closest metre: iambic trimeter
- Сlosest rhyme: alternate rhyme
- Сlosest stanza type: tercets
- Guessed form: unknown form
- Metre: 1010101 1010111 1010101 1010101 0110101 0011001 1111101 1111101 1011011 0011111 0110111 1110111 0110101 0011001 1111111 1111101
- Amount of stanzas: 4
- Average number of symbols per stanza: 126
- Average number of words per stanza: 26
- Amount of lines: 16
- Average number of symbols per line: 31 (strings are less long than medium ones)
- Average number of words per line: 7
Mood of the speaker:
The punctuation marks are various. Neither mark predominates.
The author used lexical repetitions to emphasize a significant image; from, in, you are repeated.
The poet used anaphora at the beginnings of some neighboring lines. The same words and, from, in are repeated.
If you write a school or university poetry essay, you should Include in your explanation of the poem:
- summary of When The Eye Of Day Is Shut;
- central theme;
- idea of the verse;
- history of its creation;
- critical appreciation.
Good luck in your poetry interpretation practice!
Pay attention: the program cannot take into account all the numerous nuances of poetic technique while analyzing. We make no warranties of any kind, express or implied, about the completeness, accuracy, reliability and suitability with respect to the information.
More information about poems by Alfred Edward Housman
- Analysis of Xix: The Mill Stream Now That Noises Cease
- Analysis of Xii: An Epitaph
- Analysis of Xxviii: Now Dreary Dawns The Eastern Light