This is an analysis of the poem Xl: Farewell To A Name And Number that begins with:
Farewell to a name and a number
Recalled again... full text
Elements of the verse: questions and answers
The information we provided is prepared by means of a special computer program. Use the criteria sheet to understand greatest poems or improve your poetry analysis essay.
- Rhyme scheme: abab cdcd cece
- Stanza lengths (in strings): 4,4,4,
- Closest metre: iambic trimeter
- Сlosest rhyme: alternate rhyme
- Сlosest stanza type: sonnet
- Guessed form: unknown form
- Metre: 110011010 0101 010110110 0111 11011001 11100 0101001 1101 11001010 1101 01011010 0111
- Amount of stanzas: 3
- Average number of symbols per stanza: 102
- Average number of words per stanza: 20
- Amount of lines: 12
- Average number of symbols per line: 25 (strings are less long than medium ones)
- Average number of words per line: 5
Mood of the speaker:
The punctuation marks are various. Neither mark predominates.
The author used lexical repetitions to emphasize a significant image; and, to are repeated.
The author used the same word so at the beginnings of some neighboring stanzas. The figure of speech is a kind of anaphora.
If you write a school or university poetry essay, you should Include in your explanation of the poem:
- summary of Xl: Farewell To A Name And Number;
- central theme;
- idea of the verse;
- history of its creation;
- critical appreciation.
Good luck in your poetry interpretation practice!
Pay attention: the program cannot take into account all the numerous nuances of poetic technique while analyzing. We make no warranties of any kind, express or implied, about the completeness, accuracy, reliability and suitability with respect to the information.
More information about poems by Alfred Edward Housman
- Analysis of Xv: 'Tis Five Years Since, An End Said I
- Analysis of When The Eye Of Day Is Shut
- Analysis of Xix: The Mill Stream Now That Noises Cease