This is an analysis of the poem Xv: 'Tis Five Years Since, An End Said I that begins with:
'Tis five years since, `An end,' said I;
`I'll march no further, time to die.... full text
Elements of the verse: questions and answers
The information we provided is prepared by means of a special computer program. Use the criteria sheet to understand greatest poems or improve your poetry analysis essay.
- Rhyme scheme:
- Stanza lengths (in strings):
- Closest metre:
- Сlosest rhyme:
- Сlosest stanza type:
- Guessed form:
- Amount of stanzas: 5
- Average number of symbols per stanza: 148
- Average number of words per stanza: 30
- Amount of lines: 20
- Average number of symbols per line: 36 (medium-length strings)
- Average number of words per line: 7
Mood of the speaker:
The punctuation marks are various. Neither mark predominates.
The author used lexical repetitions to emphasize a significant image; and is repeated.
The poet used anaphora at the beginnings of some neighboring lines. The same words i, and, the, what are repeated.
If you write a school or university poetry essay, you should Include in your explanation of the poem:
- summary of Xv: 'Tis Five Years Since, An End Said I;
- central theme;
- idea of the verse;
- history of its creation;
- critical appreciation.
Good luck in your poetry interpretation practice!
Pay attention: the program cannot take into account all the numerous nuances of poetic technique while analyzing. We make no warranties of any kind, express or implied, about the completeness, accuracy, reliability and suitability with respect to the information.
More information about poems by Alfred Edward Housman
- Analysis of When The Eye Of Day Is Shut
- Analysis of Xix: The Mill Stream Now That Noises Cease
- Analysis of Xii: An Epitaph