This is an analysis of the poem The Chances that begins with:
I mind as 'ow the night afore that show
Us five got talking, -- we was in the know,... full text
Elements of the verse: questions and answers
The information we provided is prepared by means of a special computer program. Use the criteria sheet to understand greatest poems or improve your poetry analysis essay.
- Rhyme scheme: aabXXXcX ddXdcXbXbX
- Stanza lengths (in strings): 8,10,
- Closest metre: trochaic pentameter
- Сlosest rhyme: no rhyme
- Сlosest stanza type: sonnet
- Guessed form: unknown form
- Metre: 1111011011 1111011001 100010101110 111111011110 1010110111110 10111111110 11111101110 1001101110100 1011011101 1011110111 11010101000 1010000111 11110111010 11111111010 1111110111 1101110111 1101110101 0101110111
- Amount of stanzas: 2
- Average number of symbols per stanza: 439
- Average number of words per stanza: 79
- Amount of lines: 18
- Average number of symbols per line: 48 (strings are more long than medium ones)
- Average number of words per line: 9
Mood of the speaker:
The punctuation marks are various. Neither mark predominates.
The author used lexical repetitions to emphasize a significant image; to, 'e's are repeated.
There is a poetic device epiphora at the end of some neighboring lines it is repeated).
If you write a school or university poetry essay, you should Include in your explanation of the poem:
- summary of The Chances;
- central theme;
- idea of the verse;
- history of its creation;
- critical appreciation.
Good luck in your poetry interpretation practice!
Pay attention: the program cannot take into account all the numerous nuances of poetic technique while analyzing. We make no warranties of any kind, express or implied, about the completeness, accuracy, reliability and suitability with respect to the information.