This is an analysis of the poem Above The Battle's Front that begins with:
St. Francis, Buddha, Tolstoi, and St. John —
Friends, if you four, as pilgrims, hand in hand,... full text
Elements of the verse: questions and answers
The information we provided is prepared by means of a special computer program. Use the criteria sheet to understand greatest poems or improve your poetry analysis essay.
- Rhyme scheme: abXb Xcac cdad abXb
- Stanza lengths (in strings): 4,4,4,4,
- Closest metre: iambic pentameter
- Сlosest rhyme: alternate rhyme
- Сlosest stanza type: tercets
- Guessed form: blank verse
- Metre: 1101010111 1011110101 0101011101 1101010101 0101010111 1101111101 1111110101 1111111101 0111010101 10010101111 1001011101 0101000101 0001001100110 1111011101 1111010111 1101010101
- Amount of stanzas: 4
- Average number of symbols per stanza: 182
- Average number of words per stanza: 33
- Amount of lines: 16
- Average number of symbols per line: 45 (strings are more long than medium ones)
- Average number of words per line: 8
Mood of the speaker:
The punctuation marks are various. Neither mark predominates.
The author used lexical repetitions to emphasize a significant image; and, their, of are repeated.
The author used the same word if at the beginnings of some neighboring stanzas. The figure of speech is a kind of anaphora.
If you write a school or university poetry essay, you should Include in your explanation of the poem:
- summary of Above The Battle's Front;
- central theme;
- idea of the verse;
- history of its creation;
- critical appreciation.
Good luck in your poetry interpretation practice!
Pay attention: the program cannot take into account all the numerous nuances of poetic technique while analyzing. We make no warranties of any kind, express or implied, about the completeness, accuracy, reliability and suitability with respect to the information.
More information about poems by Vachel Lindsay
- Analysis of The Broncho That Would Not Be Broken
- Analysis of The Angel And The Clown
- Analysis of At Mass