This is an analysis of the poem Nearer, My God, To Thee. that begins with:
Nearer, my God, to Thee,
Nearer to Thee!... full text
Elements of the verse: questions and answers
The information we provided is prepared by means of a special computer program. Use the criteria sheet to understand greatest poems or improve your poetry analysis essay.
- Rhyme scheme: AAbaAAA XcacaAA XcacaAA bdXdaAA XaXaAAA
- Stanza lengths (in strings): 7,7,7,7,7,
- Closest metre: iambic trimeter
- Сlosest rhyme: rondeau rhyme
- Сlosest stanza type: tercets
- Guessed form: unknown form
- Metre: 101101 1001 1010001 1101 111110 101101 1001 110100 0111 100101 1101 101110 101101 1001 110101 11010 111101 01010 100101 101101 1001 101101 1011 101101 1011 111100 101101 1001 101101 1001 111101 1011 111110 101101 1001
- Amount of stanzas: 5
- Average number of symbols per stanza: 158
- Average number of words per stanza: 30
- Amount of lines: 35
- Average number of symbols per line: 22 (very short strings)
- Average number of words per line: 4
Mood of the speaker:
The punctuation marks are various. Neither mark predominates.
The author used lexical repetitions to emphasize a significant image; to is repeated.
The poet used anaphora at the beginnings of some neighboring lines. The same word nearer is repeated.
The author used the same word then at the beginnings of some neighboring stanzas. The figure of speech is a kind of anaphora.
There is a poetic device epiphora at the end of some neighboring lines thee is repeated).
The poet repeated the same word thee at the end of some neighboring stanzas. The poetic device is a kind of epiphora.
If you write a school or university poetry essay, you should Include in your explanation of the poem:
- summary of Nearer, My God, To Thee.;
- central theme;
- idea of the verse;
- history of its creation;
- critical appreciation.
Good luck in your poetry interpretation practice!
Pay attention: the program cannot take into account all the numerous nuances of poetic technique while analyzing. We make no warranties of any kind, express or implied, about the completeness, accuracy, reliability and suitability with respect to the information.