This is an analysis of the poem Odium Theologicum that begins with:
They met and they talked where the crossroads meet,... full text
Elements of the verse: questions and answers
The information we provided is prepared by means of a special computer program. Use the criteria sheet to understand greatest poems or improve your poetry analysis essay.
- Rhyme scheme: a bCcCdddd cdedAEbe X bCfCebfb XfefAEbe
- Stanza lengths (in strings): 1,8,8,1,8,8,
- Closest metre: iambic tetrameter
- Сlosest rhyme: alternate rhyme
- Сlosest stanza type: tercets
- Guessed form: ballad stanza
- Metre: 1 1111110111 1100111 11100111101 1100111 01001101001 10100101 101001101001 10100101 111100111 1101001 1100100101 11001001 111101101 11100101 1111001001 1100101 1 1101110111 1100111 101011111101 1100111 10101001001 0100101 111100111 1111101 111100111 111001 1100100101 1100101 111101101 11100101 1111001001 1100101
- Amount of stanzas: 6
- Average number of symbols per stanza: 207
- Average number of words per stanza: 41
- Amount of lines: 34
- Average number of symbols per line: 36 (medium-length strings)
- Average number of words per line: 7
Mood of the speaker:
The punctuation marks are various. Neither mark predominates.
The author used lexical repetitions to emphasize a significant image; they, man, and, from, his, that are repeated.
The poet used anaphora at the beginnings of some neighboring lines. The same words and, one are repeated.
The author used the same word they at the beginnings of some neighboring stanzas. The figure of speech is a kind of anaphora.
If you write a school or university poetry essay, you should Include in your explanation of the poem:
- summary of Odium Theologicum;
- central theme;
- idea of the verse;
- history of its creation;
- critical appreciation.
Good luck in your poetry interpretation practice!
Pay attention: the program cannot take into account all the numerous nuances of poetic technique while analyzing. We make no warranties of any kind, express or implied, about the completeness, accuracy, reliability and suitability with respect to the information.