This is an analysis of the poem The People Upstairs that begins with:
The people upstairs all practise ballet
Their living room is a bowling alley...
Elements of the verse: questions and answers
The information we provided is prepared by means of a special computer program. Use the criteria sheet to understand greatest poems or improve your poetry analysis essay.
- Rhyme scheme: XXaabbcccccc
- Stanza lengths (in strings): 12,
- Closest metre: iambic pentameter
- Сlosest rhyme: couplets
- Сlosest stanza type: sonnet
- Guessed form: heroic couplets
- Metre: 0100111001 1101001010 1110100101 110101011 110111101 1110101101 110111001 1010110111 11111101 1100111101 1110100110 0010011111101
- Amount of stanzas: 1
- Average number of symbols per stanza: 486
- Average number of words per stanza: 88
- Amount of lines: 12
- Average number of symbols per line: 40 (medium-length strings)
- Average number of words per line: 7
Mood of the speaker:
The punctuation marks are various. Neither mark predominates.
The author used lexical repetitions to emphasize a significant image; their, they are repeated.
The poet used anaphora at the beginnings of some neighboring lines. The same word their is repeated.
If you write a school or university poetry essay, you should Include in your explanation of the poem:
- summary of The People Upstairs;
- central theme;
- idea of the verse;
- history of its creation;
- critical appreciation.
Good luck in your poetry interpretation practice!
Pay attention: the program cannot take into account all the numerous nuances of poetic technique while analyzing. We make no warranties of any kind, express or implied, about the completeness, accuracy, reliability and suitability with respect to the information.
More information about poems by Ogden Nash
- Analysis of Song To Be Sung By The Father Of Infant Female Children
- Analysis of So Does Everybody Else, Only Not So Much
- Analysis of Good-By Now Or Pardon My Gauntlet