This is an analysis of the poem The Country Retreat that begins with:
OH lone and lovely solitude,
Washed by the sounding sea;... full text
Elements of the verse: questions and answers
The information we provided is prepared by means of a special computer program. Use the criteria sheet to understand greatest poems or improve your poetry analysis essay.
- Rhyme scheme: abab caca dede fafa bgbg hbhb iaia jgjg haha hhhhakakXgege
- Stanza lengths (in strings): 4,4,4,4,4,4,4,4,4,13,
- Closest metre: iambic trimeter
- Сlosest rhyme: alternate rhyme
- Сlosest stanza type: sonnet
- Guessed form: unknown form
- Metre: 11110101 110101 10100101 110101 110001001 010101 01110111 1101111 01110101 011101 010100101 010101 1101101 1100101 111101001 110101 111101001 100111 11111101 010101 11111111 110110 010100101 0100111 11010101 010101 010100101 110001 111101110 010101 111101110 101101 10010111 010111 010010100 1011001 11010111 010111 01010011 111111 01110001 010101 11010101 0100101 11000101 110111 11010101 010101
- Amount of stanzas: 11
- Average number of symbols per stanza: 131
- Average number of words per stanza: 24
- Amount of lines: 48
- Average number of symbols per line: 29 (strings are less long than medium ones)
- Average number of words per line: 5
Mood of the speaker:
The punctuation marks are various. Neither mark predominates.
The author used lexical repetitions to emphasize a significant image; or, in, and are repeated.
The poet used anaphora at the beginnings of some neighboring lines. The same word the is repeated.
If you write a school or university poetry essay, you should Include in your explanation of the poem:
- summary of The Country Retreat;
- central theme;
- idea of the verse;
- history of its creation;
- critical appreciation.
Good luck in your poetry interpretation practice!
Pay attention: the program cannot take into account all the numerous nuances of poetic technique while analyzing. We make no warranties of any kind, express or implied, about the completeness, accuracy, reliability and suitability with respect to the information.
More information about poems by Letitia Elizabeth Landon
- Analysis of The Enchanted Island. By Danby
- Analysis of Cupid And Swallows Flying From Winter. By Dagley
- Analysis of The Hindoo Girl’s Song