This is an analysis of the poem The Ship That Never Returned that begins with:
On a summer's day while the waves were rippling, with a quiet and a gentle breeze;
A ship set sail with a cargo laden for a port beyond the sea. ... full text
Elements of the verse: questions and answers
The information we provided is prepared by means of a special computer program. Use the criteria sheet to understand greatest poems or improve your poetry analysis essay.
- Rhyme scheme: Xa XB XB XB aa XB Xb XB cc XB Xb XB
- Stanza lengths (in strings): 2,2,2,2,2,2,2,2,2,2,2,2,
- Closest metre: trochaic pentameter
- Сlosest rhyme: no rhyme
- Сlosest stanza type: tercets
- Guessed form: unknown form
- Metre: 101011010100001010101 01110011101010101 01100111100110101100 101111101010111001 1011110101010101100 101111101010111001 01100111100110101100 101111101010111001 10101001101111111 1110010011101111111 01100111100110101100 101111101010111001 101011010101110101 101111101010111001 01100111100110101100 101111101010111001 10101001101110101 101110110100011111 01100111100110101100 101111101010111001 10110111010101111100 1111100111010111001 01100111100110101100 101111101010111001
- Amount of stanzas: 12
- Average number of symbols per stanza: 152
- Average number of words per stanza: 29
- Amount of lines: 24
- Average number of symbols per line: 76 (very long strings)
- Average number of words per line: 15
Mood of the speaker:
The punctuation marks are various. Neither mark predominates.
The author used lexical repetitions to emphasize a significant image; returned, never, and are repeated.
The poet repeated the same word returned at the end of some neighboring stanzas. The poetic device is a kind of epiphora.
If you write a school or university poetry essay, you should Include in your explanation of the poem:
- summary of The Ship That Never Returned;
- central theme;
- idea of the verse;
- history of its creation;
- critical appreciation.
Good luck in your poetry interpretation practice!
Pay attention: the program cannot take into account all the numerous nuances of poetic technique while analyzing. We make no warranties of any kind, express or implied, about the completeness, accuracy, reliability and suitability with respect to the information.
More information about poems by Henry Clay Work
- Analysis of Lillie Of The Snowstorm
- Analysis of The Old Village Doctor
- Analysis of Columbia's Guardian Angels