This is an analysis of the poem The Old Village Doctor that begins with:
In the village where he married,
Doctor Eldebury tarried;... full text
Elements of the verse: questions and answers
The information we provided is prepared by means of a special computer program. Use the criteria sheet to understand greatest poems or improve your poetry analysis essay.
- Rhyme scheme: aXbccbaddEX adffX eedffdXddEX aaghhgXddEX
- Stanza lengths (in strings): 11,5,11,11,
- Closest metre: trochaic pentameter
- Сlosest rhyme: couplets
- Сlosest stanza type: sonnet
- Guessed form: unknown form
- Metre: 00101110 10100010 11100110111 111001111 10100111 101110101 10101010111 101110011 01101110101010 11110010101 111101110 1010100011 11101010111 11000010 11101010 11111001110 10101010 10111010 11111011101 10101010 11101110 101010111 10101110101100 001110111 10101110101010 11110010101 111101110 10101010 1011110 00101010101 10111010 10110110 1010110001 11111011111 111111111 00101110101010 11110010101 111101110
- Amount of stanzas: 4
- Average number of symbols per stanza: 382
- Average number of words per stanza: 70
- Amount of lines: 38
- Average number of symbols per line: 39 (medium-length strings)
- Average number of words per line: 7
Mood of the speaker:
There are many exclamation marks in the poem. The speaker is excited. He or she has strong feelings on the subject that is described in the poem.
The author used lexical repetitions to emphasize a significant image; and, his, he are repeated.
The poet used anaphora at the beginnings of some neighboring lines. The same words how, some are repeated.
There is a poetic device epiphora at the end of some neighboring lines us is repeated).
The poet repeated the same word by at the end of some neighboring stanzas. The poetic device is a kind of epiphora.
If you write a school or university poetry essay, you should Include in your explanation of the poem:
- summary of The Old Village Doctor;
- central theme;
- idea of the verse;
- history of its creation;
- critical appreciation.
Good luck in your poetry interpretation practice!
Pay attention: the program cannot take into account all the numerous nuances of poetic technique while analyzing. We make no warranties of any kind, express or implied, about the completeness, accuracy, reliability and suitability with respect to the information.
More information about poems by Henry Clay Work
- Analysis of Columbia's Guardian Angels
- Analysis of Beautiful Rose
- Analysis of The Picture On The Wall