This is an analysis of the poem To Maecenas that begins with:
Than you, O valued friend of mine,
A better patron _non est_!... full text
Elements of the verse: questions and answers
The information we provided is prepared by means of a special computer program. Use the criteria sheet to understand greatest poems or improve your poetry analysis essay.
- Rhyme scheme: abab cccd eaea d fgfg
- Stanza lengths (in strings): 4,4,4,1,4,
- Closest metre: iambic tetrameter
- Сlosest rhyme: alternate rhyme
- Сlosest stanza type: sonnet
- Guessed form: ballad stanza
- Metre: 11110101 01010101 11111011 1101110 11011101 1101001 101011101 1111010 10010101 1111010 11110111 1101110 10 11110101 1001010 11011111 1111010
- Amount of stanzas: 5
- Average number of symbols per stanza: 104
- Average number of words per stanza: 19
- Amount of lines: 18
- Average number of symbols per line: 28 (strings are less long than medium ones)
- Average number of words per line: 5
Mood of the speaker:
The punctuation marks are various. Neither mark predominates.
If you write a school or university poetry essay, you should Include in your explanation of the poem:
- summary of To Maecenas;
- central theme;
- idea of the verse;
- history of its creation;
- critical appreciation.
Good luck in your poetry interpretation practice!
Pay attention: the program cannot take into account all the numerous nuances of poetic technique while analyzing. We make no warranties of any kind, express or implied, about the completeness, accuracy, reliability and suitability with respect to the information.