This is an analysis of the poem How Long? that begins with:
How long, and yet how long,
Our leaders will we hail from over seas,... full text
Elements of the verse: questions and answers
The information we provided is prepared by means of a special computer program. Use the criteria sheet to understand greatest poems or improve your poetry analysis essay.
- Rhyme scheme: abbab XccXc aaaaa dccdc eeeee bffbf adXadXbccbc
- Stanza lengths (in strings): 5,5,5,5,5,5,11,
- Closest metre: iambic tetrameter
- Сlosest rhyme: enclosed rhyme
- Сlosest stanza type: tercets
- Guessed form: unknown form
- Metre: 111111 1100110101 1011010100 111101 0101010100 1101110 1001010001 1110110111 110101 1101101101 110111 0011100101 1001010001 111111 01001011101 011111 0101010001 0011011101 110101 10010001001 1101001 01110101001 1101110101 100101 0101000100 1101001 11010101001 01001000111 010101 01001011101 010101 0011000101 0101101100 001111 0111010101 010111 0101010101 1111011101 01001101 1110010101
- Amount of stanzas: 8
- Average number of symbols per stanza: 183
- Average number of words per stanza: 32
- Amount of lines: 40
- Average number of symbols per line: 36 (medium-length strings)
- Average number of words per line: 6
Mood of the speaker:
The punctuation marks are various. Neither mark predominates.
The author used lexical repetitions to emphasize a significant image; and, with, of are repeated.
The poet used anaphora at the beginnings of some neighboring lines. The same words with, these, the are repeated.
The author used the same word the at the beginnings of some neighboring stanzas. The figure of speech is a kind of anaphora.
If you write a school or university poetry essay, you should Include in your explanation of the poem:
- summary of How Long?;
- central theme;
- idea of the verse;
- history of its creation;
- critical appreciation.
Good luck in your poetry interpretation practice!
Pay attention: the program cannot take into account all the numerous nuances of poetic technique while analyzing. We make no warranties of any kind, express or implied, about the completeness, accuracy, reliability and suitability with respect to the information.