This is an analysis of the poem Florence Nightingale that begins with:
UPON the whitewashed walls
A woman's shadow falls,... full text
Elements of the verse: questions and answers
The information we provided is prepared by means of a special computer program. Use the criteria sheet to understand greatest poems or improve your poetry analysis essay.
- Rhyme scheme: aaabba ccabba ddeffe aagccg eehaah iigjjg
- Stanza lengths (in strings): 6,6,6,6,6,6,
- Closest metre: iambic trimeter
- Сlosest rhyme: couplets
- Сlosest stanza type: tercets
- Guessed form: unknown form
- Metre: 010111 010111 01010100101 011101 100101 0101010100 111111 010101 11110011001 101101 001100 1111000101 010001 010011 1101011101 111101 111111 11110101011 110001 010101 0111010101 1101110 110111 0111111001 110001 100101 0101011101 101100 010001 11110100101 111111 010101 101101010111 100101 010101 1001100101
- Amount of stanzas: 6
- Average number of symbols per stanza: 192
- Average number of words per stanza: 35
- Amount of lines: 36
- Average number of symbols per line: 31 (strings are less long than medium ones)
- Average number of words per line: 6
Mood of the speaker:
The punctuation marks are various. Neither mark predominates.
If you write a school or university poetry essay, you should Include in your explanation of the poem:
- summary of Florence Nightingale;
- central theme;
- idea of the verse;
- history of its creation;
- critical appreciation.
Good luck in your poetry interpretation practice!
Pay attention: the program cannot take into account all the numerous nuances of poetic technique while analyzing. We make no warranties of any kind, express or implied, about the completeness, accuracy, reliability and suitability with respect to the information.