This is an analysis of the poem As By Fire that begins with:
Sometimes I feel so passionate a yearning
For spiritual perfection here below,... full text
Elements of the verse: questions and answers
The information we provided is prepared by means of a special computer program. Use the criteria sheet to understand greatest poems or improve your poetry analysis essay.
- Rhyme scheme: a b a b c d c d X e X e f g f g h i h i i e i e f f fXf
- Stanza lengths (in strings): 1,1,1,1,1,1,1,1,1,1,1,1,1,1,1,1,1,1,1,1,1,1,1,1,1,1,3,
- Closest metre: iambic pentameter
- Сlosest rhyme: alternate rhyme
- Сlosest stanza type: tercets
- Guessed form: blank verse
- Metre: 01111100010 11000010101 010010101010 110101 11000101010 110010101 010101000010 111101 01011101100 1101001001 00110100010 111001 00101101010 0111000101 110100111010 110101 11110101011 11111010101 01010101111 011111 010101101110 0011111111 01011010010 010111 11000101010 1011001111 11111111010 110101
- Amount of stanzas: 28
- Average number of symbols per stanza: 37
- Average number of words per stanza: 7
- Amount of lines: 28
- Average number of symbols per line: 37 (medium-length strings)
- Average number of words per line: 7
Mood of the speaker:
The punctuation marks are various. Neither mark predominates.
The author used lexical repetitions to emphasize a significant image; for, and are repeated.
The poet used anaphora at the beginnings of some neighboring lines. The same words so, one, the are repeated.
The author used the same words so, one, the at the beginnings of some neighboring stanzas. The figure of speech is a kind of anaphora.
If you write a school or university poetry essay, you should Include in your explanation of the poem:
- summary of As By Fire;
- central theme;
- idea of the verse;
- history of its creation;
- critical appreciation.
Good luck in your poetry interpretation practice!
Pay attention: the program cannot take into account all the numerous nuances of poetic technique while analyzing. We make no warranties of any kind, express or implied, about the completeness, accuracy, reliability and suitability with respect to the information.