This is an analysis of the poem About May that begins with:
One night Nurse Sleep held out her hand
To tired little May.... full text
Elements of the verse: questions and answers
The information we provided is prepared by means of a special computer program. Use the criteria sheet to understand greatest poems or improve your poetry analysis essay.
- Rhyme scheme: abXbccX badaXa acdcXc aeaeXe
- Stanza lengths (in strings): 7,6,6,6,
- Closest metre: iambic tetrameter
- Сlosest rhyme: enclosed rhyme
- Сlosest stanza type: tercets
- Guessed form: unknown form
- Metre: 11111101 010101 11010100 111101 1101111 1111 00110111 110111001 011111 1110111111 1110101 001101101 1001101 110110111 1111001 110011111 111111 101111111 1101001 1110101101 110101 1111101101 0111001 10111111 100101
- Amount of stanzas: 4
- Average number of symbols per stanza: 205
- Average number of words per stanza: 43
- Amount of lines: 28
- Average number of symbols per line: 29 (strings are less long than medium ones)
- Average number of words per line: 6
Mood of the speaker:
The punctuation marks are various. Neither mark predominates.
The author used lexical repetitions to emphasize a significant image; and, her are repeated.
The author used the same word she at the beginnings of some neighboring stanzas. The figure of speech is a kind of anaphora.
If you write a school or university poetry essay, you should Include in your explanation of the poem:
- summary of About May;
- central theme;
- idea of the verse;
- history of its creation;
- critical appreciation.
Good luck in your poetry interpretation practice!
Pay attention: the program cannot take into account all the numerous nuances of poetic technique while analyzing. We make no warranties of any kind, express or implied, about the completeness, accuracy, reliability and suitability with respect to the information.