This is an analysis of the poem Whose Wife that begins with:
‘HARRY! what, that yourself, back to old Vic., man,
Down from the Never Land? Now, what’s your game?... full text
Elements of the verse: questions and answers
The information we provided is prepared by means of a special computer program. Use the criteria sheet to understand greatest poems or improve your poetry analysis essay.
- Rhyme scheme: abab cdcd bebe adad fgfg chchXcaca
- Stanza lengths (in strings): 4,4,4,4,4,9,
- Closest metre: trochaic pentameter
- Сlosest rhyme: alternate rhyme
- Сlosest stanza type: tercets
- Guessed form: unknown form
- Metre: 10111010111 1001011011 10110110111 1111011001 11110110110 1010101001 10010110010 1101111011 010101110100 1111001001 111110100100 1101011001 11111110110 111101010011 11011010010 1001011011 111001101110 1101011101 11111010110 1011111111 10010110110 1111111011 11010111010 11011001011 000101110110 1101111011 10111110010 11101101111
- Amount of stanzas: 7
- Average number of symbols per stanza: 189
- Average number of words per stanza: 38
- Amount of lines: 28
- Average number of symbols per line: 46 (strings are more long than medium ones)
- Average number of words per line: 10
Mood of the speaker:
The speaker asks many questions. Perhaps, he or she is in confusion.
The author used lexical repetitions to emphasize a significant image; what, and, of, you, s, for, her are repeated.
The literary device anadiplosis is detected in two or more neighboring lines. The word/phrase heard connects the lines.
If you write a school or university poetry essay, you should Include in your explanation of the poem:
- summary of Whose Wife;
- central theme;
- idea of the verse;
- history of its creation;
- critical appreciation.
Good luck in your poetry interpretation practice!
Pay attention: the program cannot take into account all the numerous nuances of poetic technique while analyzing. We make no warranties of any kind, express or implied, about the completeness, accuracy, reliability and suitability with respect to the information.