This is an analysis of the poem The Immortal Strain that begins with:
“Late Midshipman John Travers (Chester),
aged 16 years. He was mortally wounded ... full text
Elements of the verse: questions and answers
The information we provided is prepared by means of a special computer program. Use the criteria sheet to understand greatest poems or improve your poetry analysis essay.
- Rhyme scheme: XabXc bdbdee fafagg bhbhaa igigaa gcgcjj bkbkhh jfjfeeXhahacc
- Stanza lengths (in strings): 5,6,6,6,6,6,6,13,
- Closest metre: iambic tetrameter
- Сlosest rhyme: alternate rhyme
- Сlosest stanza type: tercets
- Guessed form: ballad stanza
- Metre: 111011010 1101110010 1000101101010 01011010100 0111111 11110111 11011101 01010101 01010100 01110111 01110100 110101101 01011101 11010101 10110111 11010101 11111100 01000101 01010101 00010101 111101001 111100101 11001001 11110101 11010001 11110101 01010101 01011101 11010101 11010101 110010101 01010101 11010101 11000101 01111001 11111101 11010101 11010001 11110001 01010101 01110101 01010101 11011101 11010101 11101111 11110101 01110111 01110101 01010101 11100101 11010101 10010101 11010101
- Amount of stanzas: 9
- Average number of symbols per stanza: 212
- Average number of words per stanza: 38
- Amount of lines: 54
- Average number of symbols per line: 35 (medium-length strings)
- Average number of words per line: 6
Mood of the speaker:
The punctuation marks are various. Neither mark predominates.
The author used lexical repetitions to emphasize a significant image; of is repeated.
The poet used anaphora at the beginnings of some neighboring lines. The same words who, and, once are repeated.
The author used the same word we at the beginnings of some neighboring stanzas. The figure of speech is a kind of anaphora.
If you write a school or university poetry essay, you should Include in your explanation of the poem:
- summary of The Immortal Strain;
- central theme;
- idea of the verse;
- history of its creation;
- critical appreciation.
Good luck in your poetry interpretation practice!
Pay attention: the program cannot take into account all the numerous nuances of poetic technique while analyzing. We make no warranties of any kind, express or implied, about the completeness, accuracy, reliability and suitability with respect to the information.