This is an analysis of the poem The Shanty that begins with:
THERE ARE tracks through the scrub, there’s a track down the hill,
And a track round the bend from M‘Courteney’s mill,... full text
Elements of the verse: questions and answers
The information we provided is prepared by means of a special computer program. Use the criteria sheet to understand greatest poems or improve your poetry analysis essay.
- Rhyme scheme: aabbbcccddd eefffggghhh ffiiijjjkkk aaeeehhhXll
- Stanza lengths (in strings): 11,11,11,11,
- Closest metre: iambic tetrameter
- Сlosest rhyme: couplets
- Сlosest stanza type: sonnet
- Guessed form: unknown form
- Metre: 1111011001101 10110101001 111001001101 101001001001 101101010001 101011 101001 101001001001 101011 101011 111111010000 001111001101 101101010001 101010001111 101101111111 101001011001 101011 011101 111011011101 11001 001101 111101011001 101101110001 001111011001 111001111011 110001001101 111001101101 101011 011101 11001011011 101001 111011 101111011001 111001111101 101101101101 111001101101 101001101001 111011111011 1011001 111101 101001101001 111001 111111 111011011001
- Amount of stanzas: 4
- Average number of symbols per stanza: 455
- Average number of words per stanza: 92
- Amount of lines: 44
- Average number of symbols per line: 40 (medium-length strings)
- Average number of words per line: 8
Mood of the speaker:
The punctuation marks are various. Neither mark predominates.
The author used lexical repetitions to emphasize a significant image; and, of, s, he, in, or, they are repeated.
The poet used anaphora at the beginnings of some neighboring lines. The same words and, or are repeated.
If you write a school or university poetry essay, you should Include in your explanation of the poem:
- summary of The Shanty;
- central theme;
- idea of the verse;
- history of its creation;
- critical appreciation.
Good luck in your poetry interpretation practice!
Pay attention: the program cannot take into account all the numerous nuances of poetic technique while analyzing. We make no warranties of any kind, express or implied, about the completeness, accuracy, reliability and suitability with respect to the information.