This is an analysis of the poem After The Funeral (In Memory Of Ann Jones) that begins with:
After the funeral, mule praises, brays,
Windshake of sailshaped ears, muffle-toed tap...
Elements of the verse: questions and answers
The information we provided is prepared by means of a special computer program. Use the criteria sheet to understand greatest poems or improve your poetry analysis essay.
- Rhyme scheme: XabbcaXcXcdddcdeaeaefgccfcXfghchgddfXfXf
- Stanza lengths (in strings): 40,
- Closest metre: trochaic pentameter
- Сlosest rhyme: rima
- Сlosest stanza type: sonnet
- Guessed form: unknown form
- Metre: 1001001101 10010011011 1100011001 10111010101 0101011001 1010011111 1010011101 00100101111 11110100101 10010111110 00100111011 1110100101 00100100111 11010111010 1011011111 101000101010 101101011011 11111100010 10011111111 11110001010 1111101111 010101011010 101010100101 110100101101 10111110110 1011001101 011111101011 0011111101 010000100110 001010100101 1101110101 10010011011 10001101110 01001111011 11010100001 111010101010 10000111011 11010100101 0110011111 10101111011
- Amount of stanzas: 1
- Average number of symbols per stanza: 1905
- Average number of words per stanza: 357
- Amount of lines: 40
- Average number of symbols per line: 47 (strings are more long than medium ones)
- Average number of words per line: 9
Mood of the speaker:
The punctuation marks are various. Neither mark predominates.
The author used lexical repetitions to emphasize a significant image; of, her, and, in are repeated.
The literary device anadiplosis is detected in two or more neighboring lines. The word/phrase tap connects the lines.
If you write a school or university poetry essay, you should Include in your explanation of the poem:
- summary of After The Funeral (In Memory Of Ann Jones);
- central theme;
- idea of the verse;
- history of its creation;
- critical appreciation.
Good luck in your poetry interpretation practice!
Pay attention: the program cannot take into account all the numerous nuances of poetic technique while analyzing. We make no warranties of any kind, express or implied, about the completeness, accuracy, reliability and suitability with respect to the information.
More information about poems by Dylan Thomas
- Analysis of A Process In The Weather Of The Heart
- Analysis of Love In The Asylum
- Analysis of Deaths And Entrances