This is an analysis of the poem At William Maclennan's Grave that begins with:
Here where the cypress tall
Shadows the stucco wall,...
Elements of the verse: questions and answers
The information we provided is prepared by means of a special computer program. Use the criteria sheet to understand greatest poems or improve your poetry analysis essay.
- Rhyme scheme: aabccb ddaeea ffXccf gghaah XXXiiX Xdffff aaiddi ffieeX aadjjd
- Stanza lengths (in strings): 6,6,6,6,6,6,6,6,6,
- Closest metre: iambic trimeter
- Сlosest rhyme: couplets
- Сlosest stanza type: tercets
- Guessed form: unknown form
- Metre: 110101 110101 111 1001001 1010111 1101 101001 10001011 101 01001001 10111 0101 1111101 111101 001010 100101 1011011 0111 1111101 00101011 10101 100101 1010101 10111 101001 0111101 111 101111 100101 0100 1011010 1111101 110 1111001 1001101 0010 111001 101111 1101 1100101 0010111 001 111111 1111011 1011 001101 100111 01011 110111 0010101 10101 1001101 110101 1001
- Amount of stanzas: 9
- Average number of symbols per stanza: 148
- Average number of words per stanza: 28
- Amount of lines: 54
- Average number of symbols per line: 24 (strings are less long than medium ones)
- Average number of words per line: 5
Mood of the speaker:
The punctuation marks are various. Neither mark predominates.
The author used lexical repetitions to emphasize a significant image; and is repeated.
The author used the same word what at the beginnings of some neighboring stanzas. The figure of speech is a kind of anaphora.
If you write a school or university poetry essay, you should Include in your explanation of the poem:
- summary of At William Maclennan's Grave;
- central theme;
- idea of the verse;
- history of its creation;
- critical appreciation.
Good luck in your poetry interpretation practice!
Pay attention: the program cannot take into account all the numerous nuances of poetic technique while analyzing. We make no warranties of any kind, express or implied, about the completeness, accuracy, reliability and suitability with respect to the information.