This is an analysis of the poem Insomnia that begins with:
Now you hear what the house has to say.
Pipes clanking, water running in the dark,...
Elements of the verse: questions and answers
The information we provided is prepared by means of a special computer program. Use the criteria sheet to understand greatest poems or improve your poetry analysis essay.
- Rhyme scheme: XabcXd cedcXX Xbaaea
- Stanza lengths (in strings): 6,6,6,
- Closest metre: iambic pentameter
- Сlosest rhyme: enclosed rhyme
- Сlosest stanza type: tercets
- Guessed form: blank verse
- Metre: 111101101 1101010001 0101100010 1101001101 010110100100 1111111001 11111000111 11111110 0100100010101 0101010101 1100010101 01011111001 110101011011 01010011101 0101010001 1000101101 01001000101 0101100101
- Amount of stanzas: 3
- Average number of symbols per stanza: 259
- Average number of words per stanza: 45
- Amount of lines: 18
- Average number of symbols per line: 42 (strings are more long than medium ones)
- Average number of words per line: 8
Mood of the speaker:
The punctuation marks are various. Neither mark predominates.
The author used lexical repetitions to emphasize a significant image; in is repeated.
The poet used anaphora at the beginnings of some neighboring lines. The same word the is repeated.
If you write a school or university poetry essay, you should Include in your explanation of the poem:
- summary of Insomnia;
- central theme;
- idea of the verse;
- history of its creation;
- critical appreciation.
Good luck in your poetry interpretation practice!
Pay attention: the program cannot take into account all the numerous nuances of poetic technique while analyzing. We make no warranties of any kind, express or implied, about the completeness, accuracy, reliability and suitability with respect to the information.