This is an analysis of the poem Litany that begins with:
This is a litany of lost things,
a canon of possessions dispossessed,...
Elements of the verse: questions and answers
The information we provided is prepared by means of a special computer program. Use the criteria sheet to understand greatest poems or improve your poetry analysis essay.
- Rhyme scheme: abcaXXdddbefXe XgfXdgc aadaXXa bdaabfg XbfagfX
- Stanza lengths (in strings): 14,7,7,7,7,
- Closest metre: iambic pentameter
- Сlosest rhyme: enclosed rhyme
- Сlosest stanza type: sonnet
- Guessed form: blank verse
- Metre: 000100011 0100010101 0101111101 0001010101 10100101010 010100011 01010101010 00010001 101101110 0100010001 01010000001 101110010 100001110011100 10001011111 00010100 0101001101010 0011000100 0001001010 1010100010101 010101010011 1110010101 00010001110 001011101 001110000101 100100001111 0001011101 111011110 1001010001110 0001101010 111111110 0100010111 0101010101 0100101001 0101000010100 110001 011100110011 1101111001 1000101101 0101010101 1000110010 100101011100 10101000111
- Amount of stanzas: 5
- Average number of symbols per stanza: 330
- Average number of words per stanza: 59
- Amount of lines: 42
- Average number of symbols per line: 38 (medium-length strings)
- Average number of words per line: 7
Mood of the speaker:
The punctuation marks are various. Neither mark predominates.
The author used lexical repetitions to emphasize a significant image; of, to, and, my are repeated.
The poet used anaphora at the beginnings of some neighboring lines. The same words a, to are repeated.
The author used the same word this at the beginnings of some neighboring stanzas. The figure of speech is a kind of anaphora.
If you write a school or university poetry essay, you should Include in your explanation of the poem:
- summary of Litany;
- central theme;
- idea of the verse;
- history of its creation;
- critical appreciation.
Good luck in your poetry interpretation practice!
Pay attention: the program cannot take into account all the numerous nuances of poetic technique while analyzing. We make no warranties of any kind, express or implied, about the completeness, accuracy, reliability and suitability with respect to the information.