This is an analysis of the poem Youth Revisited that begins with:
Can this be the old town of wheat-teams and saddle-hacks,
Of Ted Toll's smithy, with the anvil ringing clear,... full text
Elements of the verse: questions and answers
The information we provided is prepared by means of a special computer program. Use the criteria sheet to understand greatest poems or improve your poetry analysis essay.
- Rhyme scheme: abcbadXd defedeXe XacacbXb XgfgXbdb
- Stanza lengths (in strings): 8,8,8,8,
- Closest metre: iambic pentameter
- Сlosest rhyme: rima
- Сlosest stanza type: tercets
- Guessed form: blank verse
- Metre: 1000110111101 011100010101 01001011101101 0110101010011 011110111101 101010110111 111011011101 101101001111 1101011010100 101010010101 011101011101 10010111001 111011010100 10001110101 11111110100 1010100110101 11010111100 11100100001 10101001010101 1111010111 11100110101 10011110101 101010011100 1100011110001 11010111100 111100101 011101011101 01011110101 1101001011101 10111000111 11101111110100 10101000111
- Amount of stanzas: 4
- Average number of symbols per stanza: 401
- Average number of words per stanza: 72
- Amount of lines: 32
- Average number of symbols per line: 49 (strings are more long than medium ones)
- Average number of words per line: 9
Mood of the speaker:
The punctuation marks are various. Neither mark predominates.
The author used lexical repetitions to emphasize a significant image; of, and, red, him, black, tom are repeated.
The poet used anaphora at the beginnings of some neighboring lines. The same words of, the are repeated.
The author used the same word what at the beginnings of some neighboring stanzas. The figure of speech is a kind of anaphora.
If you write a school or university poetry essay, you should Include in your explanation of the poem:
- summary of Youth Revisited;
- central theme;
- idea of the verse;
- history of its creation;
- critical appreciation.
Good luck in your poetry interpretation practice!
Pay attention: the program cannot take into account all the numerous nuances of poetic technique while analyzing. We make no warranties of any kind, express or implied, about the completeness, accuracy, reliability and suitability with respect to the information.