This is an analysis of the poem My Pledge that begins with:
This I declare: As I trudge the road
Of pain-filled souls with a heavy load—...
Elements of the verse: questions and answers
The information we provided is prepared by means of a special computer program. Use the criteria sheet to understand greatest poems or improve your poetry analysis essay.
- Rhyme scheme: aaaaX b XcdcaXaabXddeeXX
- Stanza lengths (in strings): 5,1,16,
- Closest metre: iambic pentameter
- Сlosest rhyme: limerick
- Сlosest stanza type: sonnet
- Guessed form: blank verse
- Metre: 010111101 011100101 01010101100110101 0101010110100111 110110101110110111 010100100100110101 010110111001011110 1 0101001011100110101 0101111010010111 10001011110011010 1 111110111 011100101 110100101 110110101 111110101 1110000101 10111101 10010111 10010111 11010111
- Amount of stanzas: 3
- Average number of symbols per stanza: 354
- Average number of words per stanza: 67
- Amount of lines: 22
- Average number of symbols per line: 47 (strings are more long than medium ones)
- Average number of words per line: 9
Mood of the speaker:
The punctuation marks are various. Neither mark predominates.
The author used lexical repetitions to emphasize a significant image; with is repeated.
The poet used anaphora at the beginnings of some neighboring lines. The same word a is repeated.
The author used the same word a at the beginnings of some neighboring stanzas. The figure of speech is a kind of anaphora.
If you write a school or university poetry essay, you should Include in your explanation of the poem:
- summary of My Pledge;
- central theme;
- idea of the verse;
- history of its creation;
- critical appreciation.
Good luck in your poetry interpretation practice!
Pay attention: the program cannot take into account all the numerous nuances of poetic technique while analyzing. We make no warranties of any kind, express or implied, about the completeness, accuracy, reliability and suitability with respect to the information.