This is an analysis of the poem On The Breakwater that begins with:
On the breakwater in the summer dark, a man and a girl are sitting,
She across his knee and they are looking face into face ...
Elements of the verse: questions and answers
The information we provided is prepared by means of a special computer program. Use the criteria sheet to understand greatest poems or improve your poetry analysis essay.
- Rhyme scheme: XXX XXX
- Stanza lengths (in strings): 3,3,
- Closest metre: iambic pentameter
- Сlosest rhyme: no rhyme
- Сlosest stanza type: tercets
- Guessed form: blank verse
- Metre: 101100010101101110 10101111101001 1001100111010100110 0100110011011101 100111001100101 111011011101101
- Amount of stanzas: 2
- Average number of symbols per stanza: 197
- Average number of words per stanza: 36
- Amount of lines: 6
- Average number of symbols per line: 65 (very long strings)
- Average number of words per line: 12
Mood of the speaker:
The punctuation marks are various. Neither mark predominates.
If you write a school or university poetry essay, you should Include in your explanation of the poem:
- summary of On The Breakwater;
- central theme;
- idea of the verse;
- history of its creation;
- critical appreciation.
Good luck in your poetry interpretation practice!
Pay attention: the program cannot take into account all the numerous nuances of poetic technique while analyzing. We make no warranties of any kind, express or implied, about the completeness, accuracy, reliability and suitability with respect to the information.