This is an analysis of the poem Late Afternoon: The Onslaught Of Love that begins with:
For William and Emily Maxwell
At this time of day...
Elements of the verse: questions and answers
The information we provided is prepared by means of a special computer program. Use the criteria sheet to understand greatest poems or improve your poetry analysis essay.
- Rhyme scheme: X Abbcdefc AefbfXdXcb Xcgcc AbggXXcXcXc
- Stanza lengths (in strings): 1,8,10,5,11,
- Closest metre: iambic tetrameter
- Сlosest rhyme: enclosed rhyme
- Сlosest stanza type: sonnet
- Guessed form: unknown form
- Metre: 110110011 10101 111010101 01010011 111011 111010101010 10100100 001011 1010001011 10101 11010 1110001011 010111 010010111 1011010100 1100010 10010101 01010101 0100010 011011101 11100101010010 0101010010 100010010010 1001101010 10101 1110001 0101001 1010010 101110 00101101 101001101010 1101111011 10011010100 11010010 010110100010
- Amount of stanzas: 5
- Average number of symbols per stanza: 232
- Average number of words per stanza: 40
- Amount of lines: 35
- Average number of symbols per line: 32 (medium-length strings)
- Average number of words per line: 6
Mood of the speaker:
The punctuation marks are various. Neither mark predominates.
The author used lexical repetitions to emphasize a significant image; of, and are repeated.
The author used the same word at at the beginnings of some neighboring stanzas. The figure of speech is a kind of anaphora.
If you write a school or university poetry essay, you should Include in your explanation of the poem:
- summary of Late Afternoon: The Onslaught Of Love;
- central theme;
- idea of the verse;
- history of its creation;
- critical appreciation.
Good luck in your poetry interpretation practice!
Pay attention: the program cannot take into account all the numerous nuances of poetic technique while analyzing. We make no warranties of any kind, express or implied, about the completeness, accuracy, reliability and suitability with respect to the information.
More information about poems by Anthony Evan Hecht
- Analysis of Lizards And Snakes
- Analysis of Curriculum Vitae
- Analysis of Sarabande On Attaining The Age Of Seventy-Seven