This is an analysis of the poem An Unmerry Christmas that begins with:
Christmas, you tell me, comes but once a year.
One place it never comes, and that is here.... full text
Elements of the verse: questions and answers
The information we provided is prepared by means of a special computer program. Use the criteria sheet to understand greatest poems or improve your poetry analysis essay.
- Rhyme scheme: aabbaaccddaa eeccXcccffccc XXgghhcc ddcchh hXiieeiiiiddd
- Stanza lengths (in strings): 12,13,8,6,13,
- Closest metre: iambic pentameter
- Сlosest rhyme: couplets
- Сlosest stanza type: sonnet
- Guessed form: heroic couplets
- Metre: 1011111101 1101011101 10110101001 1111010001 1101011101 0100111101 1111010101 1101110101 110101001 110101001 1101011101 0111001101 1100111111 1101001101 1110101111 0011000101 1101011000 01111101110 1100010111 0100010101 1101010001 1100110001 1111111101 1101001101 1111011111 10111101010 10010110110 0111011111 0101010111 0111110111 0101010101 1001010001 1101011001 1101010101 0101010101 11010100010 01010101010 0100111011 100010011 1111011111 0111111110 0111010101 1101000111 0011000101 0101010101 1101110011 0100011101 1101010101 1101001101 1101010111 0101010111 1101101001
- Amount of stanzas: 5
- Average number of symbols per stanza: 420
- Average number of words per stanza: 77
- Amount of lines: 52
- Average number of symbols per line: 39 (medium-length strings)
- Average number of words per line: 7
Mood of the speaker:
The punctuation marks are various. Neither mark predominates.
The author used lexical repetitions to emphasize a significant image; no, if, my, and, his are repeated.
The poet used anaphora at the beginnings of some neighboring lines. The same words no, my are repeated.
The literary device anadiplosis is detected in two or more neighboring lines. The word/phrase here connects the lines.
If you write a school or university poetry essay, you should Include in your explanation of the poem:
- summary of An Unmerry Christmas;
- central theme;
- idea of the verse;
- history of its creation;
- critical appreciation.
Good luck in your poetry interpretation practice!
Pay attention: the program cannot take into account all the numerous nuances of poetic technique while analyzing. We make no warranties of any kind, express or implied, about the completeness, accuracy, reliability and suitability with respect to the information.