This is an analysis of the poem The Lapse Of Time that begins with:
Lament who will, in fruitless tears,
The speed with which our moments fly;... full text
Elements of the verse: questions and answers
The information we provided is prepared by means of a special computer program. Use the criteria sheet to understand greatest poems or improve your poetry analysis essay.
- Rhyme scheme: abab caca dddd eaea fgfg gbgb hbhb cici cjcj eded bbbb kgkgXagag
- Stanza lengths (in strings): 4,4,4,4,4,4,4,4,4,4,4,9,
- Closest metre: iambic tetrameter
- Сlosest rhyme: alternate rhyme
- Сlosest stanza type: tercets
- Guessed form: ballad stanza
- Metre: 01100101 01011101 11110100 11001101 11110101 01111101 01010101 01110111 11111111 01010111 11011111 01010101 11110111 01011001 11010101 01010011 010100010 11111011 1100000110 11011011 11110101 11010101 01011101 01110101 01110101 01010111 01111101 1101001011 001101101 11010011 11011111 01110001 11010011 11010101 10011101 01010001 11011111 1111011 11010111 01010111 11111001 01111111 11111101 11010101 11111101 1111111 11011111 11111101 11110111 111100101 01000101 01010101
- Amount of stanzas: 13
- Average number of symbols per stanza: 142
- Average number of words per stanza: 27
- Amount of lines: 52
- Average number of symbols per line: 35 (medium-length strings)
- Average number of words per line: 7
Mood of the speaker:
The punctuation marks are various. Neither mark predominates.
The author used lexical repetitions to emphasize a significant image; my, thy are repeated.
The poet used anaphora at the beginnings of some neighboring lines. The same word the is repeated.
The author used the same word the at the beginnings of some neighboring stanzas. The figure of speech is a kind of anaphora.
If you write a school or university poetry essay, you should Include in your explanation of the poem:
- summary of The Lapse Of Time;
- central theme;
- idea of the verse;
- history of its creation;
- critical appreciation.
Good luck in your poetry interpretation practice!
Pay attention: the program cannot take into account all the numerous nuances of poetic technique while analyzing. We make no warranties of any kind, express or implied, about the completeness, accuracy, reliability and suitability with respect to the information.