This is an analysis of the poem Ode To M E R C Y that begins with:
S T R O P H E.
O THOU, who sit'st a smiling Bride ... full text
Elements of the verse: questions and answers
The information we provided is prepared by means of a special computer program. Use the criteria sheet to understand greatest poems or improve your poetry analysis essay.
- Rhyme scheme: a bbbccbbXbbddb a eeabbaddffXXf
- Stanza lengths (in strings): 1,13,1,13,
- Closest metre: iambic tetrameter
- Сlosest rhyme: rondeau rhyme
- Сlosest stanza type: sonnet
- Guessed form: unknown form
- Metre: 1111111 11110101 11011101 10001111101 11010101 10010101 1101010101 11010101 11010110 10110111 1011011101 1101011101 0111110101 1111011101001 01111111111 11111101 01010101 1101011101 11011101 100110101 11001110101 11010101 11110101 11010111 1111110101 11010101 011101001 111111111111
- Amount of stanzas: 4
- Average number of symbols per stanza: 295
- Average number of words per stanza: 53
- Amount of lines: 28
- Average number of symbols per line: 41 (medium-length strings)
- Average number of words per line: 8
Mood of the speaker:
The punctuation marks are various. Neither mark predominates.
The author used lexical repetitions to emphasize a significant image; his is repeated.
If you write a school or university poetry essay, you should Include in your explanation of the poem:
- summary of Ode To M E R C Y;
- central theme;
- idea of the verse;
- history of its creation;
- critical appreciation.
Good luck in your poetry interpretation practice!
Pay attention: the program cannot take into account all the numerous nuances of poetic technique while analyzing. We make no warranties of any kind, express or implied, about the completeness, accuracy, reliability and suitability with respect to the information.
More information about poems by William Collins
- Analysis of Ode To Liberty
- Analysis of Ode To Fear
- Analysis of O D E, To A Lady On The Death Of Colonel R O S S In The Action Of Fontenoy