This is an analysis of the poem The Perfect Marriage that begins with:
I hate this yoke; for the world's sake here put it on:... full text
Elements of the verse: questions and answers
The information we provided is prepared by means of a special computer program. Use the criteria sheet to understand greatest poems or improve your poetry analysis essay.
- Rhyme scheme: a bbbbbb X ccdddeeddff X bbggaahhhhccggiijj X ddhhkkaaXX
- Stanza lengths (in strings): 1,6,1,11,1,18,1,10,
- Closest metre: iambic pentameter
- Сlosest rhyme: couplets
- Сlosest stanza type: sonnet
- Guessed form: heroic couplets
- Metre: 1 110110111101 101111111101 101111011111 1011100101111 111111111101 001111110101 1 111100011101 110100010101 110111110101 110001011001 011101011011 110101011101 110111110011 110111010111 010111001101 011101111111 1101110110011 1 101111011111 101101010101 101101010101 010101011101 01010100101001 010100110011 010100111111 0101100011101 0110010111001 1100111011111 010110011001 101101010101 111111011011 0101111111001 111111111101 100101010111 110101011101 1111011111001 1 1101011111001 101111111111 110111011111 111111010101 11101100101110 1111011011101 110111010111 010111111011 1101001011011 1011011111000
- Amount of stanzas: 8
- Average number of symbols per stanza: 311
- Average number of words per stanza: 58
- Amount of lines: 52
- Average number of symbols per line: 47 (strings are more long than medium ones)
- Average number of words per line: 9
Mood of the speaker:
The punctuation marks are various. Neither mark predominates.
The author used lexical repetitions to emphasize a significant image; i, and, to, it, seems, from, there are repeated.
The poet used anaphora at the beginnings of some neighboring lines. The same words i, knowing, it are repeated.
The author used the same word i at the beginnings of some neighboring stanzas. The figure of speech is a kind of anaphora.
The literary device anadiplosis is detected in two or more neighboring lines. The word/phrase i connects the lines.
If you write a school or university poetry essay, you should Include in your explanation of the poem:
- summary of The Perfect Marriage;
- central theme;
- idea of the verse;
- history of its creation;
- critical appreciation.
Good luck in your poetry interpretation practice!
Pay attention: the program cannot take into account all the numerous nuances of poetic technique while analyzing. We make no warranties of any kind, express or implied, about the completeness, accuracy, reliability and suitability with respect to the information.