This is an analysis of the poem An Apology For The Bottle Volcanic that begins with:
Sometimes I dip my pen and find the bottle full of fire,
The salamanders flying forth I cannot but admire.... full text
Elements of the verse: questions and answers
The information we provided is prepared by means of a special computer program. Use the criteria sheet to understand greatest poems or improve your poetry analysis essay.
- Rhyme scheme: XabbXXaaccddeeffaagg
- Stanza lengths (in strings): 20,
- Closest metre: iambic pentameter
- Сlosest rhyme: couplets
- Сlosest stanza type: sonnet
- Guessed form: heroic couplets
- Metre: 011111110101010 01010101110101 01010100011101 11110101111111 11111111110111 101101010101110 11111111010101 010111110111111 11010111110001 110001011100101 11111101110101 11010101111101 11111100111111 11111101110101 11010111100101 11010101110001 11011101011101 11010101110101 01010101100101 110101010100101
- Amount of stanzas: 1
- Average number of symbols per stanza: 1191
- Average number of words per stanza: 228
- Amount of lines: 20
- Average number of symbols per line: 59 (very long strings)
- Average number of words per line: 11
Mood of the speaker:
The punctuation marks are various. Neither mark predominates.
The author used lexical repetitions to emphasize a significant image; and, as, of, my are repeated.
The poet used anaphora at the beginnings of some neighboring lines. The same word and is repeated.
If you write a school or university poetry essay, you should Include in your explanation of the poem:
- summary of An Apology For The Bottle Volcanic;
- central theme;
- idea of the verse;
- history of its creation;
- critical appreciation.
Good luck in your poetry interpretation practice!
Pay attention: the program cannot take into account all the numerous nuances of poetic technique while analyzing. We make no warranties of any kind, express or implied, about the completeness, accuracy, reliability and suitability with respect to the information.
More information about poems by Vachel Lindsay
- Analysis of The Hope Of The Resurrection
- Analysis of The Tree Of Laughing Bells
- Analysis of The Rose Of Midnight