This is an analysis of the poem Epistle Of Condolence From A Slave-Lord To A Cotton-Lord that begins with:
Alas ! my dear friend, what a state of affairs !
How unjustly we both are despoil'd of our rights !... full text
Elements of the verse: questions and answers
The information we provided is prepared by means of a special computer program. Use the criteria sheet to understand greatest poems or improve your poetry analysis essay.
- Rhyme scheme: abab cdcd aeae efef XbXb gaga ahbh
- Stanza lengths (in strings): 4,4,4,4,4,4,4,
- Closest metre: trochaic pentameter
- Сlosest rhyme: alternate rhyme
- Сlosest stanza type: tercets
- Guessed form: unknown form
- Metre: 01111101001 1010111100011 101011111011 111101101101 1100101100010 011110110010 111110011010 110011011010 01011001111 011111101101 111010011011 101111001101 101011011001 11001101111 1110101001 111001011001 111010011000 110011010011 1110111010110 11111001111 101001101111 101111001001 011001011011 111111011011 1001101110110 11101001001 1110111011011 01011001111
- Amount of stanzas: 7
- Average number of symbols per stanza: 202
- Average number of words per stanza: 37
- Amount of lines: 29
- Average number of symbols per line: 48 (strings are more long than medium ones)
- Average number of words per line: 9
Mood of the speaker:
The punctuation marks are various. Neither mark predominates.
The author used lexical repetitions to emphasize a significant image; of, we, which are repeated.
The poet used anaphora at the beginnings of some neighboring lines. The same word which is repeated.
If you write a school or university poetry essay, you should Include in your explanation of the poem:
- summary of Epistle Of Condolence From A Slave-Lord To A Cotton-Lord;
- central theme;
- idea of the verse;
- history of its creation;
- critical appreciation.
Good luck in your poetry interpretation practice!
Pay attention: the program cannot take into account all the numerous nuances of poetic technique while analyzing. We make no warranties of any kind, express or implied, about the completeness, accuracy, reliability and suitability with respect to the information.