This is an analysis of the poem Farewell that begins with:
As we travel Life's weary journey,
And plod through the gathering years,... full text
Elements of the verse: questions and answers
The information we provided is prepared by means of a special computer program. Use the criteria sheet to understand greatest poems or improve your poetry analysis essay.
- Rhyme scheme: XabacdbX XcXcedbX ecXcefXf fegeXada XgagadcX
- Stanza lengths (in strings): 8,8,8,8,8,
- Closest metre: trochaic tetrameter
- Сlosest rhyme: enclosed rhyme
- Сlosest stanza type: tercets
- Guessed form: unknown form
- Metre: 111011010 11101000 011001110 1001110001 001101010 1110101 111011110 11101110000 111011100 1101101 101001010 0101101 111001110 10111111 1111100010 11101110000 111011010 00100101 101001010 1100101 111001010 1100111 111011010 11110000001 111001011 110010001 01001010 11100101 01001011 1100101 101001111 11100100 111001110 111001001 11011010 1100101 11001110 0101111 110010011 0011110000
- Amount of stanzas: 5
- Average number of symbols per stanza: 290
- Average number of words per stanza: 50
- Amount of lines: 40
- Average number of symbols per line: 35 (medium-length strings)
- Average number of words per line: 6
Mood of the speaker:
The punctuation marks are various. Neither mark predominates.
The author used lexical repetitions to emphasize a significant image; to, and, farewell are repeated.
The author used the same word i at the beginnings of some neighboring stanzas. The figure of speech is a kind of anaphora.
The poet repeated the same word farewell at the end of some neighboring stanzas. The poetic device is a kind of epiphora.
If you write a school or university poetry essay, you should Include in your explanation of the poem:
- summary of Farewell;
- central theme;
- idea of the verse;
- history of its creation;
- critical appreciation.
Good luck in your poetry interpretation practice!
Pay attention: the program cannot take into account all the numerous nuances of poetic technique while analyzing. We make no warranties of any kind, express or implied, about the completeness, accuracy, reliability and suitability with respect to the information.