This is an analysis of the poem The Dying Hunter To His Dog that begins with:
Lie down -- lie down! -- my noble hound,
That joyful bark give o'er;... full text
Elements of the verse: questions and answers
The information we provided is prepared by means of a special computer program. Use the criteria sheet to understand greatest poems or improve your poetry analysis essay.
- Rhyme scheme: aXabccccaa adadababee aaaadddXcc acacefefcc
- Stanza lengths (in strings): 10,10,10,10,
- Closest metre: iambic tetrameter
- Сlosest rhyme: shakespearean sonnet
- Сlosest stanza type: sonnet
- Guessed form: unknown form
- Metre: 11111101 1101110 01010101 110111 11011101 111101 11010011 010101 110011101 11010111 11111101 110111 11010111 110111 11010101 110101 11110111 0101001 01011111 11010101 11111101 110101 11110101 110101 11010101 010101 11110101 101101 11000101 11110101 11111101 111111 01111101 110111 0101001010 110001 111101010 111101 111101101 010101101
- Amount of stanzas: 4
- Average number of symbols per stanza: 340
- Average number of words per stanza: 61
- Amount of lines: 40
- Average number of symbols per line: 33 (medium-length strings)
- Average number of words per line: 6
Mood of the speaker:
There are many exclamation marks in the poem. The speaker is excited. He or she has strong feelings on the subject that is described in the poem.
The author used lexical repetitions to emphasize a significant image; thy is repeated.
The poet used anaphora at the beginnings of some neighboring lines. The same words thy, and are repeated.
The author used the same word lie at the beginnings of some neighboring stanzas. The figure of speech is a kind of anaphora.
If you write a school or university poetry essay, you should Include in your explanation of the poem:
- summary of The Dying Hunter To His Dog;
- central theme;
- idea of the verse;
- history of its creation;
- critical appreciation.
Good luck in your poetry interpretation practice!
Pay attention: the program cannot take into account all the numerous nuances of poetic technique while analyzing. We make no warranties of any kind, express or implied, about the completeness, accuracy, reliability and suitability with respect to the information.