This is an analysis of the poem Benedict Brosse that begins with:
HALE, and though sixty, without a stoop,
What does old Benedict want with a wife? ... full text
Elements of the verse: questions and answers
The information we provided is prepared by means of a special computer program. Use the criteria sheet to understand greatest poems or improve your poetry analysis essay.
- Rhyme scheme: abA abA abA abA X abA abAA X CcCccC ccC ccC ccC cXCC
- Stanza lengths (in strings): 3,3,3,3,1,3,4,1,6,3,3,3,4,
- Closest metre: iambic pentameter
- Сlosest rhyme: rondeau rhyme
- Сlosest stanza type: tercets
- Guessed form: blank verse
- Metre: 111100101 1111011001 11110111 10111001 001011111 111100101 0100101001 11111111 11110111 1101001001 0101100101 111100101 11 10101110101 11111010101 11110111 1100110101 10111111101 111100101 11110111 1 1110000101001 110111011 110111001 1001011001 0100111011 1110000101001 1111101101 1110100101 110111001 11101001100 1010111011 1110000101001 0100100100 11001011101 110111001 1100101110 111100010001 1110000101001 110111001
- Amount of stanzas: 13
- Average number of symbols per stanza: 126
- Average number of words per stanza: 24
- Amount of lines: 40
- Average number of symbols per line: 40 (medium-length strings)
- Average number of words per line: 8
Mood of the speaker:
The punctuation marks are various. Neither mark predominates.
The author used lexical repetitions to emphasize a significant image; of, and, he, as are repeated.
The poet used anaphora at the beginnings of some neighboring lines. The same words can, though are repeated.
The poet repeated the same words soup, pence at the end of some neighboring stanzas. The poetic device is a kind of epiphora.
If you write a school or university poetry essay, you should Include in your explanation of the poem:
- summary of Benedict Brosse;
- central theme;
- idea of the verse;
- history of its creation;
- critical appreciation.
Good luck in your poetry interpretation practice!
Pay attention: the program cannot take into account all the numerous nuances of poetic technique while analyzing. We make no warranties of any kind, express or implied, about the completeness, accuracy, reliability and suitability with respect to the information.