This is an analysis of the poem The Voyageur that begins with:
LIKE the swarthy son of some tropic shore
He sleeps, with his olive bosom bared,... full text
Elements of the verse: questions and answers
The information we provided is prepared by means of a special computer program. Use the criteria sheet to understand greatest poems or improve your poetry analysis essay.
- Rhyme scheme: abA aba abA abA abAXabAA
- Stanza lengths (in strings): 3,3,3,3,8,
- Closest metre: iambic pentameter
- Сlosest rhyme: limerick
- Сlosest stanza type: tercets
- Guessed form: blank verse
- Metre: 1010101101 110010101 1100100101 10101011101 111111111 1010101101 1011100101 1110011111 1100100101 1010111101 0110000111 1010101101 110110101 10100110101 1100100101 10101011001 1001111101 1010101101 1100100101
- Amount of stanzas: 6
- Average number of symbols per stanza: 135
- Average number of words per stanza: 26
- Amount of lines: 20
- Average number of symbols per line: 40 (medium-length strings)
- Average number of words per line: 8
Mood of the speaker:
The punctuation marks are various. Neither mark predominates.
The author used lexical repetitions to emphasize a significant image; his is repeated.
The poet used anaphora at the beginnings of some neighboring lines. The same words he, for are repeated.
The author used the same word like at the beginnings of some neighboring stanzas. The figure of speech is a kind of anaphora.
The poet repeated the same word ore at the end of some neighboring stanzas. The poetic device is a kind of epiphora.
If you write a school or university poetry essay, you should Include in your explanation of the poem:
- summary of The Voyageur;
- central theme;
- idea of the verse;
- history of its creation;
- critical appreciation.
Good luck in your poetry interpretation practice!
Pay attention: the program cannot take into account all the numerous nuances of poetic technique while analyzing. We make no warranties of any kind, express or implied, about the completeness, accuracy, reliability and suitability with respect to the information.