This is an analysis of the poem Down among the Cane-Brakes that begins with:
Once I could laugh and play,
When in life's early day,... full text
Elements of the verse: questions and answers
The information we provided is prepared by means of a special computer program. Use the criteria sheet to understand greatest poems or improve your poetry analysis essay.
- Rhyme scheme: aaaB cccB CXcCXc cccB dddBXaaaB
- Stanza lengths (in strings): 4,4,6,4,9,
- Closest metre: iambic trimeter
- Сlosest rhyme: couplets
- Сlosest stanza type: tercets
- Guessed form: unknown form
- Metre: 111111 101101 111101 101011 111101 111101 110101 101011 1010111010101 111011101110 1110101111 1010111010101 111011101110 1110101111 111101 100111 111101 101011 110101 110111 111011 101011 101101 111111 110101 101011
- Amount of stanzas: 6
- Average number of symbols per stanza: 138
- Average number of words per stanza: 27
- Amount of lines: 26
- Average number of symbols per line: 31 (strings are less long than medium ones)
- Average number of words per line: 6
Mood of the speaker:
There are many exclamation marks in the poem. The speaker is excited. He or she has strong feelings on the subject that is described in the poem.
The author used lexical repetitions to emphasize a significant image; those, days, happy are repeated.
The poet used anaphora at the beginnings of some neighboring lines. The same words down, oh are repeated.
The author used the same word there at the beginnings of some neighboring stanzas. The figure of speech is a kind of anaphora.
The poet repeated the same word brakes at the end of some neighboring stanzas. The poetic device is a kind of epiphora.
If you write a school or university poetry essay, you should Include in your explanation of the poem:
- summary of Down among the Cane-Brakes;
- central theme;
- idea of the verse;
- history of its creation;
- critical appreciation.
Good luck in your poetry interpretation practice!
Pay attention: the program cannot take into account all the numerous nuances of poetic technique while analyzing. We make no warranties of any kind, express or implied, about the completeness, accuracy, reliability and suitability with respect to the information.