This is an analysis of the poem O Sleep, My Babe that begins with:
O sleep, my babe, hear not the rippling wave,
Nor feel the breeze that round thee ling'ring strays ... full text
Elements of the verse: questions and answers
The information we provided is prepared by means of a special computer program. Use the criteria sheet to understand greatest poems or improve your poetry analysis essay.
- Rhyme scheme: Xabc deXf fdge ahig fadi Xcdh cbaX
- Stanza lengths (in strings): 4,4,4,4,4,4,4,
- Closest metre: iambic tetrameter
- Сlosest rhyme: enclosed rhyme
- Сlosest stanza type: tercets
- Guessed form: unknown form
- Metre: 11111101001 1101111101 011101 111111 1101011101 1100110111 110001 110101 1111110101 0101110111 1100101 101111 0101010101 01010101001 1101001 100111 0101010111 11111100101 0111010 101101 110111011000 0101011101 1111001 111101 1111111101 0101111101 110101 1010101
- Amount of stanzas: 7
- Average number of symbols per stanza: 145
- Average number of words per stanza: 27
- Amount of lines: 28
- Average number of symbols per line: 36 (medium-length strings)
- Average number of words per line: 7
Mood of the speaker:
The punctuation marks are various. Neither mark predominates.
If you write a school or university poetry essay, you should Include in your explanation of the poem:
- summary of O Sleep, My Babe;
- central theme;
- idea of the verse;
- history of its creation;
- critical appreciation.
Good luck in your poetry interpretation practice!
Pay attention: the program cannot take into account all the numerous nuances of poetic technique while analyzing. We make no warranties of any kind, express or implied, about the completeness, accuracy, reliability and suitability with respect to the information.