This is an analysis of the poem Toil's Sweet Content that begins with:
The Man of Questions paused and stood
Before the Man of Toil, ... full text
Elements of the verse: questions and answers
The information we provided is prepared by means of a special computer program. Use the criteria sheet to understand greatest poems or improve your poetry analysis essay.
- Rhyme scheme: abcbdXbX eXfXXebXXAgX XdhXbeXX XcXXeceXXgfgaehX XAeXhchX
- Stanza lengths (in strings): 8,12,8,16,8,
- Closest metre: iambic tetrameter
- Сlosest rhyme: no rhyme
- Сlosest stanza type: sonnet
- Guessed form: unknown form
- Metre: 01010111 010101 11111011 011001 11111111 101101 01011101 110111 111101001 111101 11111110 010101 110110101 1101101 110110111 1110101 111110110 010101 111101011 110100 10111100 1101011 11011111 0110111 11100101 010001 11111101 111101 11110110 100111 01011111 110100 11110001 1101010 101010101 0101000 11110111 0100101 111101000 100111 11010101 010101 11111111 110111 11011101 010101 11110111 111100 11011111 111101 11111111 1101001
- Amount of stanzas: 5
- Average number of symbols per stanza: 341
- Average number of words per stanza: 68
- Amount of lines: 52
- Average number of symbols per line: 32 (medium-length strings)
- Average number of words per line: 7
Mood of the speaker:
The speaker asks many questions. Perhaps, he or she is in confusion.
The author used lexical repetitions to emphasize a significant image; man, and, ', as, i'd, i, you are repeated.
The poet used anaphora at the beginnings of some neighboring lines. The same word and is repeated.
There is a poetic device epiphora at the end of some neighboring lines ' is repeated).
The poet repeated the same word ' at the end of some neighboring stanzas. The poetic device is a kind of epiphora.
The literary device anadiplosis is detected in two or more neighboring lines. The word/phrase you connects the lines.
If you write a school or university poetry essay, you should Include in your explanation of the poem:
- summary of Toil's Sweet Content;
- central theme;
- idea of the verse;
- history of its creation;
- critical appreciation.
Good luck in your poetry interpretation practice!
Pay attention: the program cannot take into account all the numerous nuances of poetic technique while analyzing. We make no warranties of any kind, express or implied, about the completeness, accuracy, reliability and suitability with respect to the information.