This is an analysis of the poem The Straying Sheep that begins with:
How many sheep are straying
Lost from the Savior's fold!... full text
Elements of the verse: questions and answers
The information we provided is prepared by means of a special computer program. Use the criteria sheet to understand greatest poems or improve your poetry analysis essay.
- Rhyme scheme: abbcded FFGX fhchigig FFGX febefbjb FFGX agagijXX FFGX
- Stanza lengths (in strings): 7,4,8,4,8,4,8,4,
- Closest metre: trochaic tetrameter
- Сlosest rhyme: alternate rhyme
- Сlosest stanza type: tercets
- Guessed form: unknown form
- Metre: 1101110 100101 0101010110001 0101010 110111 1101010 110111 11111110 0010111 10100110101 1011111100 1101010 110101 01010010 110111 1001110 110101 011110 011101 11111110 0010111 10100110101 1011111100 1011010 010101 0111010 010101 1101010 110101 1111110 010001 11111110 0010111 10100110101 1011111100 1110110 011111 10101010 011101 1011010 110101 1111111 11010100 11111110 0010111 10100110101 1011111100
- Amount of stanzas: 8
- Average number of symbols per stanza: 196
- Average number of words per stanza: 38
- Amount of lines: 47
- Average number of symbols per line: 33 (medium-length strings)
- Average number of words per line: 6
Mood of the speaker:
The punctuation marks are various. Neither mark predominates.
The author used lexical repetitions to emphasize a significant image; and, them are repeated.
The poet used anaphora at the beginnings of some neighboring lines. The same word and is repeated.
The author used the same word o at the beginnings of some neighboring stanzas. The figure of speech is a kind of anaphora.
The poet repeated the same word home at the end of some neighboring stanzas. The poetic device is a kind of epiphora.
If you write a school or university poetry essay, you should Include in your explanation of the poem:
- summary of The Straying Sheep;
- central theme;
- idea of the verse;
- history of its creation;
- critical appreciation.
Good luck in your poetry interpretation practice!
Pay attention: the program cannot take into account all the numerous nuances of poetic technique while analyzing. We make no warranties of any kind, express or implied, about the completeness, accuracy, reliability and suitability with respect to the information.