This is an analysis of the poem How Can I Keep From Singing? that begins with:
My life flows on in endless song;
Above earth’s lamentation... full text
Elements of the verse: questions and answers
The information we provided is prepared by means of a special computer program. Use the criteria sheet to understand greatest poems or improve your poetry analysis essay.
- Rhyme scheme: aXbcXaXA XXXdbadA ceXeeaXA
- Stanza lengths (in strings): 8,8,8,
- Closest metre: trochaic tetrameter
- Сlosest rhyme: no rhyme
- Сlosest stanza type: tercets
- Guessed form: unknown form
- Metre: 11110101 0111000 11011111 1101010 11010101 1101010 01110011 1111010 11111101 0111010 11010101 1001110 11111101 1011010 110101011 1111010 11110111 1101010 111101110 1111010 01011111 0101010 11111110 1111010
- Amount of stanzas: 3
- Average number of symbols per stanza: 261
- Average number of words per stanza: 51
- Amount of lines: 24
- Average number of symbols per line: 32 (medium-length strings)
- Average number of words per line: 6
Mood of the speaker:
The speaker asks many questions. Perhaps, he or she is in confusion.
The author used lexical repetitions to emphasize a significant image; i is repeated.
The poet used anaphora at the beginnings of some neighboring lines. The same word i is repeated.
The poet repeated the same word singing at the end of some neighboring stanzas. The poetic device is a kind of epiphora.
If you write a school or university poetry essay, you should Include in your explanation of the poem:
- summary of How Can I Keep From Singing?;
- central theme;
- idea of the verse;
- history of its creation;
- critical appreciation.
Good luck in your poetry interpretation practice!
Pay attention: the program cannot take into account all the numerous nuances of poetic technique while analyzing. We make no warranties of any kind, express or implied, about the completeness, accuracy, reliability and suitability with respect to the information.