This is an analysis of the poem Upon The Image Of Death that begins with:
Before my face the picture hangs
That daily should put me in mind... full text
Elements of the verse: questions and answers
The information we provided is prepared by means of a special computer program. Use the criteria sheet to understand greatest poems or improve your poetry analysis essay.
- Rhyme scheme: ababcc dedecc XfXfcc bgbgcc hfhfcC cececC fificC hjhjccXfcfccc
- Stanza lengths (in strings): 6,6,6,6,6,6,6,13,
- Closest metre: iambic tetrameter
- Сlosest rhyme: shakespearean sonnet
- Сlosest stanza type: tercets
- Guessed form: unknown form
- Metre: 01110101 11011101 01111101 11011101 11011101 11101111 11010101 11010111 11010101 11111010 11010111 11011111 11010101 110110011 11010111 01011111 11011101 11011111 010001111 01111111 11110101 11111111 11011101 11011111 01111101 011001111 11111101 101101001 11111111 11110111 11101101 11001111 11010101 11110101 11111111 11110111 11001101 11011011 11110101 11111101 100111111 11110111 11010101 01010101 11010111 01010101 11110111 11111111 01111101 01110101 01010111 11011111 11111111 11111111
- Amount of stanzas: 9
- Average number of symbols per stanza: 198
- Average number of words per stanza: 41
- Amount of lines: 54
- Average number of symbols per line: 32 (medium-length strings)
- Average number of words per line: 7
Mood of the speaker:
The punctuation marks are various. Neither mark predominates.
The author used lexical repetitions to emphasize a significant image; i, that, my, if are repeated.
The poet used anaphora at the beginnings of some neighboring lines. The same words the, if are repeated.
The author used the same word i at the beginnings of some neighboring stanzas. The figure of speech is a kind of anaphora.
The poet repeated the same words die, i at the end of some neighboring stanzas. The poetic device is a kind of epiphora.
If you write a school or university poetry essay, you should Include in your explanation of the poem:
- summary of Upon The Image Of Death;
- central theme;
- idea of the verse;
- history of its creation;
- critical appreciation.
Good luck in your poetry interpretation practice!
Pay attention: the program cannot take into account all the numerous nuances of poetic technique while analyzing. We make no warranties of any kind, express or implied, about the completeness, accuracy, reliability and suitability with respect to the information.