This is an analysis of the poem Look Home that begins with:
Retired thoughts enjoy their own delights,
As beauty doth in self-beholding eye ;... full text
Elements of the verse: questions and answers
The information we provided is prepared by means of a special computer program. Use the criteria sheet to understand greatest poems or improve your poetry analysis essay.
- Rhyme scheme: ababcc dedeff XdadffXdfdfdd
- Stanza lengths (in strings): 6,6,13,
- Closest metre: iambic pentameter
- Сlosest rhyme: shakespearean sonnet
- Сlosest stanza type: tercets
- Guessed form: blank verse
- Metre: 011011101 1101010101 11010001001 010111011 0101110101 1101111101 0101001101 0101010101 0101010101 01011101000 0101010111 1111010111 1101010100 1101010111 0101110101 1001010101 01110101010 01010110010 1111010101 1101010101 0111010011 0011000101 1001100101 1111111001
- Amount of stanzas: 4
- Average number of symbols per stanza: 264
- Average number of words per stanza: 48
- Amount of lines: 24
- Average number of symbols per line: 43 (strings are more long than medium ones)
- Average number of words per line: 8
Mood of the speaker:
The punctuation marks are various. Neither mark predominates.
The author used lexical repetitions to emphasize a significant image; of, his, he are repeated.
The poet used anaphora at the beginnings of some neighboring lines. The same word all is repeated.
If you write a school or university poetry essay, you should Include in your explanation of the poem:
- summary of Look Home;
- central theme;
- idea of the verse;
- history of its creation;
- critical appreciation.
Good luck in your poetry interpretation practice!
Pay attention: the program cannot take into account all the numerous nuances of poetic technique while analyzing. We make no warranties of any kind, express or implied, about the completeness, accuracy, reliability and suitability with respect to the information.